Career Mondays: User Experience Intern — Costa Mesa, CA
I know the guy posting this (Brian Salzman), and this is a great position. If you are looking to break in the field, this is a good place to start.
IBM in Costa Mesa, CA has an opening for a paid user experience intern. We are looking for students to start early in 2010 and to work for at least six months. We do not offer summer internships.
IBM interns join multidisciplinary product development teams to design, prototype, and evaluate graphical user interfaces for IBM’s industry-leading database, business intelligence, and content management products. Interns collaborate with user experience colleagues in Silicon Valley and around the world.
Applicants should have some combination of the following skills, experience, and personal characteristics:
Technical and Professional Skills
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Familiar with graphical user interfaces and style guidelines
- Knowledge of User Centered Design methodologies
- User interface design experience
- Prototyping experience
- Usability evaluation experience
- Strong interest in Human Computer Interaction (HCI)
- Software applications for Windows, UNIX or LINUX
- User Interface prototyping tools (Visio, Axure, Visual Basic, Photoshop, etc.)
- BASIC, C++, Java or other programming languages
- Adaptable and dependable
- Highly motivated and a self-starter
- A good communicator
- Works well in teams
- An innovative attitude
Internship candidates must be enrolled in a degree program — Preferred candidates will be pursuing a graduate degree with an emphasis on human-computer interaction (HCI). To be competitive, candidates should have HCI coursework and user interface design experience (class projects OK).
Send a resume and cover letter listing HF/HCI courses, programming/prototyping experience, and user interface design experience to:
$99 Tough Love Resume and Portfolio Review
Tough love. Great Advice. Receive an one hour portfolio review and career coaching session online, or in person if you're in Seattle.