UXmatters: How Important Are UX Degrees And Certifications?
Great post. It has answers from some of the leading UX practitioners, some of whom don’t have a degree.
"A degree or a certificate isn't going to magically get you respect, make you employable, get you on the speaker circuit, cure acne, or make you more attractive to the love of your life. A degree is not going to instantly improve your UX skills. Only lots and lots of practice can do that. All of the employers of UX professionals that I know-myself included-are looking for experience first and above all. However, that doesn't mean a degree is useless.”
"Of course, having a degree gets you past foolish HR departments that require a degree. However, remember that people who require a degree also look at applicants' experience. The most experience wins-the degree just lets you take part in the race.”
$99 Tough Love Resume and Portfolio Review
Tough love. Great Advice. Receive an one hour portfolio review and career coaching session online, or in person if you're in Seattle.
Other Posts On Usability Counts
- CMS Fridays: Do End Users Really Care It’s SharePoint?
- Bloomberg Businessweek: The $32,000 Startup
- Conversion XL: Don’t Design Your Own Website. No, Really. It Will Suck.
- Consultant Thursdays: Should User Experience Designers Know Design Or Programming?
- Consultant Thursdays: Four Things To Ask For When Hiring A User Experience Firm Or Consultant