The Cynical Girl: Best Career Advice Of 2012
Sure, she talks about HR and Recruiting, but Laurie Ruettiman is a great writer. You should follow her blog, because it’s great career advice, even if she doesn’t follow it herself.
Here’s one of her posts stolen, lock, stock and barrel. It’s a good read.
My best career advice from 2012. Summarized for your enjoyment.
- Don’t let a job define you.
- Don’t be too good for work.
- Your personal life and your professional life are different. Guard that.
- Don’t sulk when good things happen to other people.
- Mediocrity at work is okay.
- Money talks.
- You are responsible for your own engagement.
- Work is not your family.
- The best way to get a job is to have a job.
- For every one hour you spend on the internet, spend six in the real world.
- Don’t spread office gossip unless it’s true.
- People notice if you don’t wash your hands.
- Save your money and work less.
- It’s better to smell good than look good.
- Your boss doesn’t have it out for you. Your coworkers do.
- If you fear being fired, it’s too late.
- You are not George Carlin. Tamp down those jokes.
- If you wonder if that skirt is too short, it is.
- When someone asks how you’re doing, it is a formality. Don’t answer honestly.
- You can say no to team building, wellness programs and forced fun.
$99 Tough Love Resume and Portfolio Review
Tough love. Great Advice. Receive an one hour portfolio review and career coaching session online, or in person if you're in Seattle.
Other Posts On Usability Counts
- The Last UX Resume Template And Career Guide You’ll Ever Need
- Consultant Thursdays: Alone Time
- Consultant Thursdays: Getting Noticed On The Cheap
- CMS Fridays: More About Them, What The Sales Person Won’t Tell The Client, And Vice Versa
- A Great Way To Get Experience As An Interaction Designer? Intern.