The Cynical Girl: Best Career Advice of 2012
Sure, she talks about HR and Recruiting, but Laurie Ruettiman is a great writer. You should follow her blog, because it’s great career advice, even if she doesn’t follow it herself.
Here’s one of her posts stolen, lock, stock and barrel. It’s a good read.
My best career advice from 2012. Summarized for your enjoyment.
- Don’t let a job define you.
- Don’t be too good for work.
- Your personal life and your professional life are different. Guard that.
- Don’t sulk when good things happen to other people.
- Mediocrity at work is okay.
- Money talks.
- You are responsible for your own engagement.
- Work is not your family.
- The best way to get a job is to have a job.
- For every one hour you spend on the internet, spend six in the real world.
- Don’t spread office gossip unless it’s true.
- People notice if you don’t wash your hands.
- Save your money and work less.
- It’s better to smell good than look good.
- Your boss doesn’t have it out for you. Your coworkers do.
- If you fear being fired, it’s too late.
- You are not George Carlin. Tamp down those jokes.
- If you wonder if that skirt is too short, it is.
- When someone asks how you’re doing, it is a formality. Don’t answer honestly.
- You can say no to team building, wellness programs and forced fun.
$99 Tough Love Resume and Portfolio Review
Tough love. Great Advice. Receive an one hour portfolio review and career coaching session online, or in person if you're in Seattle.