This blog post makes me smile – a lot:
Startups are being bought for their design talent. While I was traveling I heard news that Facebook acquired Gowalla and I had to smile. This is an obvious design talent acquisitionâ€¦Gowalla has one of the most talented groups of designers around and while their service was successful, it was seen to have lost to Foursquare and was looking to reinvent itself. Now, it doesn't have to.
I've talked to friends at both Twitter and Zynga and the message is the sameâ€¦they are 100% focused on design and investing heavily in it (and have been for a couple years now). I've even been asked if I know world-class design teams or agencies who want something new. Not because these companies want to work with them but because they want to buy them, because they can't get design talent fast enough by recruiting individuals. Seriously.
I remember not too many years ago that designers lamented of not having a "seat at the table". Well, folks, your time has come. Not only do you have a seat at the tableâ€¦you've got a starring role. There is no better time to be a designer than right now.
- CNET: Sean Parker Thinks Silicon Valley is in Trouble
- Career Mondays: Director of Interaction Design — Irvine, CA
- Five Tips To Recruit A Good UX Designer With Startup Experience
- Facebook Buying Instagram For $1 Billion Oddly Makes Sense
- Business Insider: Want to Recruit Great People in a Talent Crunch? Solve a Real Problem.